Week 2 of the OHL season will take the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds on the road for the first time with a trip to Sarnia and Saginaw. After picking up just 2 points while giving up 3 last week to west division rivals Plymouth and Windsor the Hounds will be looking for a quick start on the road. The fact that 9 of their first 10 games this season will be against division rivals the need of a fast start has only be intensified especially when considering their substandard record versus the west the last few years.
Last week’s 3 stars of the week
1st Star Brandon Alderson – 2 goals including the OT winner Friday night against the Whalers. Looked great both games showing great speed driving the net off the wing
2nd Star Matt Murray – Kept the Hounds in both games in spite of being outshot in both games. Made some big saves in the 3rd against the Whalers that bought the hounds time for a comeback
3rd Star David Broll – The best weekend I have ever seen him play in a Hounds uniform. Great in the cycle and was strong on the puck. Got rewarded for his efforts with a goal against the Spitfires.
Sarnia Sting – Friday September 28th
2011-12 Record Overall/Home (32-27-2-5)(20-10-1-3)
- 3rd straight home game to start the season following a regulation loss to Owen Sound and a shootout loss to Kitchener
- First game since it was announced that Sarnia has yet to release Nail Yakapov from his OHL contract.
- Finished 5-3 against the Greyhounds last season, 3-1 at the RBC Centre.
Draft Eligibles to watch
- Anthony DeAngelo (2014 draft) a late 95 Anthony will not be eligible till the 2014 draft. An offensive defenseman who recently played for Team USA at the Ivan Hlinka tournament. Scored 8 goals as a 16 year old look for him to try and jump in the rush whenever he can against the Hounds.
Saginaw Spirit – Saturday September 29th
2011-12 Record Overall/Home (33-27-1-7)(19-13-0-2)
- Greyhounds lost both Exhibition games against the Spirit this season
- Coming in off of a 5-0 home win Thursday night against the Sudbury Wolves
- Jake Peterson should get the start. He has been a thorn in the side of Sault, Ontario since his time in the NOJHL with the Soo Eagles
- Former Hound Brandon Archibald is back in Saginaw this year for his OA season. He is week-week with an injury
Draft Eligibles to watch
- Jimmy Lodge – A “B” prospect according to NHLCS, Lodge scored 8 times last year and is coming off of a summer in which he represented the USA in the Ivan Hlinka tournament
- Nick Moutrey – A “C” prospect according to NHLCS he is what I like to call a big 17 year old coming in at 6’3” 203 lbs. Looking to take the next step as he had 2g 7a as a rookie last season.
Bold Prediction of the Week
The Greyhounds are going to pick up 4 points this weekend. You heard it here first.