We’ll keep things short and sweet this week as everyone is getting ready for Christmas day! Here’s to hoping everyone has power and stays warm in the coming days!
North Division Game of the Week Review: Aurora Tigers 2 - 5 Newmarket Hurricanes, Thursday December 19, 2013.
It was another home-and-home series weekend for the Newmarket Hurricanes, this time against the Division leading Aurora Tigers. The first game took place on Thursday and to recap here’s a little help from our friends at the OJHL.com:
Jonathon Colley finished with one point to lead the Newmarket Hurricanes to a 5-2 victory over the Aurora Tigers.
Newmarket kept Aurora's goalie busy throughout the game, and Andy Munroe made 29 saves on 34 shots.
Newmarket also had goals scored by Brandon Francisco, who had two and Oshowy Jordan and Cameron Nicoll, who scored one goal each. More assists for Newmarket came via Kyle Stephan, Adam Smith, Christian Dedonato, Jesse Saban, Nik Coric, and Jake Stirling, who contributed one a piece and Trevor Petersen and Justin Maiolino, who each chipped in two.
The Tigers' offense rang up 33 shots on the Hurricanes' net. Aurora's defense was uncharacteristically lax during the game. The Tigers average 2.4 goals allowed per game.
Aurora was helped by Eric Williams, who racked up one goal. Williams scored on the power play 10:06 into the first period to make the score 1-0 Aurora. The Tigers earned a power play opportunity when Saban was put in the box for slashing. Dylan Sikura assisted on the tally. Aurora also got a goal from Taylor McCloy as well. Other players who recorded assists for Aurora were Kory Kennedy and Curtis Warren, who contributed one a piece.
Newmarket's Bo Bessette stopped 31 shots out of the 33 that he faced.
North Division 3 Stars:
Honourable Mention: Patrick Morgan - Lindsay Muskies
- a goal and two assists in Lindsay’s big 4-1 victory over the Lakeshore Patriots.
3. Jake Ryan - Lindsay Muskies
- had 3 assists in the win over Toronto, also had a goal vs Wellington earlier in the week
2. Calvin Higley - Aurora Tigers
- Higley was held pointless in the first game of the home-and-home, so in the second game at home the hometown native racked up a goal and 3 helpers in the Tigers 7-2 demolishing.
1. Taylor McCloy - Aurora Tigers
- 3 goals and 2 assists in the home-and-home against Newmarket. McCloy really helped his team in the send game.
North Division Rookie of the Week: Jonathon Colley - Newmarket Hurricanes
- In his first two games with Newmarket, Colley scored a goal in each game.
Because it’s Christmas and not every team got a chance to play this week with all of the cancellations due to weather conditions, it seems fair that we’ll skip the team of the week this week no? I think so, and with that the final review of 2013 comes to a close.
The next review will come your way on Jan 5 in 2014, so until then stay safe, stay warm, and from my family to yours have a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!