A busy week in the North with much of Southern Ontario getting hammered by a snow storm, the OJHL North Division had a storm of it’s own as a number of teams played each other in some hard hitting, 4-point games. The Panthers and Spirit interlocked in an energetic game, while the Hurricanes and Muskies completed a home-and-home series over the weekend. The Tigers meanwhile continued their dominance in the North but saw their 10 game win streak halted at the hands of the Trenton Golden Hawks on Saturday.
Here are the results for each team:
Aurora: @ Georgetown - W (4-0), vs Burlington - W (7-0), vs Trenton - L (1-5)
Lindsay: vs Newmarket - W (3-2) OT, @ Newmarket - L (1-4)
Newmarket: vs Orangeville - W (4-0), @ Lindsay - L (2-3) OT, vs Lindsay - W (4-1)
Pickering: @ North York - W (4-3), vs Stouffville - W (5-2)
Stouffville: @ Pickering - L (2-5), @ Orangeville - W (4-1)
North Division Game of the Week Review:
This week we’ll look at the home-and-home series between the Muskies and Hurricanes. Here are the game recaps provided by OJHL.com:
With each team winning their home game not much changed for them in the Division standings, but it helped Lindsay pull within 1 point of Stouffville and it helped the Hurricanes get 3 back of Pickering. With most teams only playing a couple of games before the end of the new year, there is one thing to keep in mind; the Stouffville Spirit have 5 games in hand on the rest of the Division (2 in hand on Lindsay) so every point in the next two weeks are crucial as we head into 2014 and the final 2 months of the season.
North Division 3 Stars:
Honourable Mention: Brodie Tutton - Pickering Panthers
- without a point in 2 games before their Friday night match up against Stouffville, Tuton took the team on his shoulders with 2 goals and added an assist in their 5-2 triumph over the Spirit
3. Kory Kennedy - Aurora Tigers
- collected 2 goals and 3 assists in 3 games this week. Kennedy is now in the midst of a 6 game point streak (4 of those games are multipoint) where he has 5 goals and 5 assists.
2. Trevor Petersen - Newmarket Hurricanes
- also in the middle of a 6 game point streak, Petersen added 3 goals and 2 assists to bring his scoring totals during this streak to 5 goals and 7 assists.
1. Calvin Higley - Aurora Tigers
- one of the constant point getters on the Tigers 10-game win streak. In fact Higley had points in 7 of those games (6 goals, 5 assists) including 2 goals in Aurora’s 7-0 dismantling of Burlington on Friday night.
North Division Rookie of the Week: Christopher Brill-Morgan - Stouffville Spirit
- Brill-Morgan had one of his better weekends for the Spirit with a multi point game in a losing effort to Pickering followed up with an assist in the Spirits victory over Orangeville.
North Division Team of the Week: Aurora Tigers
Other teams in the North are probably eager to knock off the constant team of the week, and they could do so, but next week is another week. The Tigers completed a 10-game win streak before it was halted over the weekend, and threw in their bid as a contenting team in the North-East conference. Unless the Tigers reverse their fortunes in January, their 10 point lead over Pickering in the Division looks safe at the moment.
North Division Game of the Week Preview:
Aurora Tigers at Newmarket Hurricanes - Thursday Dec 19, 2013 - 7:30pm EST
The season series is 1-1 between these two teams and each game was dominated by the victors. The question in this game, is which team is going to come out to play? Can Newmarket steal the 2 points and keep pace for the division title or will the Tigers maintain their grasp?
* With Christmas just around the corner, next week will be the last North Division Week review for 2013 so make sure you check out a special Christmas edition of the Weekly Review, until then stay safe and let it snow!