1 Oshawa Generals vs 8 Mississauga Steelheads
Friday Oct 25th Oshawa 0 @ Mississauga 4
Saturday Oct 26th Oshawa 5 vs Mississauaga 2
Sunday Feb 2nd Oshawa 3 vs Mississauga 0
Friday Feb 28th Oshawa 4 @ Mississauga 1
Keys to the series
- Get to Spencer Martin early
- Draw penalties as they averaged 1 more pp a game than the Steelheads this year.
- Play their game. They have more depth and are a better team on paper. So long as they play the way they have all year this should be an easy series
Find a way to contain Laughton and Dal Colle
Stay out of the penalty box
Pray to the hockey gods.
Recent success of #8 seeds
In the last 5 years in the Eastern Conference 8 seeds have won a total of 5 games
Two series went to 6 games, two were sweeps and one went 5 games
2 North Bay Battalion vs 7 Niagara Ice Dogs
Thursday Oct 3rd North Bay 2 @ Niagara 4
Monday Oct 14th North Bay 5 vs Niagara 4 SO
Saturday Dec 6th North Bay 6 @ Niagara 3
Sunday Jan 19th North Bay 5 vs Niagara 1
Saturday Feb 22nd North Bay 1 @ Niagara 4
Sunday Mar 2nd North Bay 2 vs Niagara 5
Keys to the Series
- Find something that works on the power play as the battalion ranked 20th in the league and Niagara scored almost twice as many power play goals this year as the Battalion
- Get offense from everyone. The Battalion do not have much high end talent and will need contributions from everyone if they look to avoid an upset
- Jake Smith must maintain he strong play from March. After 2 consecutive months with a save % < .900 Smith came through with a 0.50 GAA in his last 4 starts.
- Steal a game in North Bay. Niagara has a real advantage at the Jack due to its dimentions. Putting pressure on North Bay early by stealing one of the first 2 games is imperative
- Maintain patience. North Bay plays so very structured defensive style. They will try to clog the neutral zone so it is important for the young ice dog forwards not to get frustrated.
- Moran must continue his strong play. Moran has really turned the corner it seems as he helped the Ice Dogs fight their way into the 7 spot in the standings.
Recent success of #7 seeds
# 7 seeds have won 7 games in the last 5 years in the Eastern Conference vs 2 seeds
The Sudbury Wolves 4 game sweep of the Ottawa 67’s is the only series victory for a 7 seed in the last 5 seasons.
3 Kingston Frontnacs vs 6 Peterborough Petes
Thurs Sept 19th Kingston 11 vs Peterborough 4
Friday Nov 29th Kingston 3 vs Peterborough 0
Thursday Dec 19th Kingston 4 @ Peterborough 1
Friday January 3rd Kingston 9 vs Peterborough 0
Friday Feb 7th Kingston 7 vs Peterborough 6 SO
Thursday Mar 6th Kingston 4 @ Peterborough 5 OT
Keys to the Series
- The defense must step up and make things easy for the goaltenders.
- With the amount of talent on the Kingston roster they should be able to dictate the play and maintain possession which will keep the pressure on the Petes.
- Maintain home ice advantage and force the Petes to Hold Serve at home if they want any chance of pushing this past 5 games.
- Andrew D’Agostini needs to be the Pete’s best player if they want to pull off the upset
- Someone other than Richie, Cornel or Garlent need to step up and bring some offence
- Stay out of the penalty box as Kingston has to much firepower to play a man down
Recent success of #6 seeds
In the last 5 years the #6 seed has only picked up 7 wins.
Niagara’s upset over the Ottawa 67’s in 2009 is the only time in the past 5 years a #6 has advanced.
Two times in the past 5 years a 6 seed has been swept out of the playoffs
4 Barrie Colts vs 5 Sudbury Wolves
Friday Sept 27th Barrie 3 @ Sudbury 5
Saturday Oct 5th Barrie 6 vs Sudbury 3
Thursday Nov 14th Barrie 7 vs Sudbury 1
Sunday Jan 26th Barrie 2 @ Sudbury 4
Thursday Jan 30th Barrie 5 vs Sudbury 7
Saturday Feb 22nd Barrie 2 vs Sudbury 1
Sunday Feb 23rd Barrie 5 vs Sudbury 3
Wednesday Mar 5th Barrie 2 vs Sudbury 4
Keys to the Series
- Get bodies and traffic infront of Palazazze
- Ekblad must shutdown the top line of Baptiste, Pancel and Campagna.
- Athanasiou was a point a game player for the Colts in last years playoffs and must be even better this year
- Keep doing what they’re doing as they won the season series against the Colts
- Faska has to start producing. The key trade deadline acquisition only has 21 points in 29 games for the Wolves
- Turn things around at home. In their last 10 games at Sudbury Arena the Wolves are 2-6-0-2
Recent success of #5 seeds
In the last 5 years #5 seeds have picked up 10 wins in their opening round matches.
Sudbury last year and Kingston in 2011 are the last 2 5 seeds to knock off a 4
Sudbury in the 2012 playoffs are the only 5 seed in the last 5 years to be swept in the 1st round.