Greyhounds Weekly Preview
The Greyhounds head back out on the road for 3 games this week making their only trips to Brampton, Peterborough and Oshawa. Here are some Greyhound related notes followed by some game notes for their upcoming matches.
- Following their wins in Plymouth and Saginaw last week the Hounds are 13-1-1 against US based OHL teams
- Hounds PP is 10th in the league at 20.3%
- Hounds PK is 17th at 75.8% as it is slowly making its way up after being in the bottom for the whole 1st half
- Currently Nick Cousins leads all OHLers in Points and Assists while Ryan Sproul leads all Defenseman in points
- Ryan Sproul is 1st among Defenseman in points per game while Colin Miller is 5th
- Hounds are 8-1-0-1 in their last 10 (hottest team in the OHL) while they are 5-4-0-1 in their last 10 on the road but with wins in their last 4 road starts.
- Ryan Sproul is the reigning player of the week while Nick Cousins is the reigning player of the month
- The Hounds are 8-6-1-1 against the Eastern Conference 6-3-1-0 vs the Central and 2-3-0-1 against the East
Brampton Battalion Thursday February 7th
2012-13 Record Overall/Road(24-18-3-6)/(16-6-1-2)
- The Greyhounds final visit to the Bunker as the battalion will be moving up to North Bay next year.
- Brampton is one of the most disciplined teams in the league as they have been shorthanded fewer than any team in the league. That is especially true on home ice where they are shorthanded an average of only 2.9 times a game.
- Brampton has points in 7 straight games with a 5-0-0-2 record over that time
- Brampton is 8-1-0-1 in their last 10 on home ice
- Brampton’s power play is 12th in the league at 19.5% while their PK is 5th at 83.4%
- Brampton sits 12 in the ohlwriters.com power rankings for this week
Draft Eligibles and Others to Watch
Nick Paul – Drafted this past May in the OHL priorty selection in his 2nd go around (a 95 birth year). Nick has good size and has shown an ability to pitch in offensively for the Battalion with 12 goals in his rookie season
Mike Amadio – The Soo native has had a rather productive rooke season so far for the Battalion has he has 4g and 11a so far.
Peterborough Petes Saturday February 9th
2012-13 Record Overall/Home (16-28-3-4)/(8-15-1-1)
- CBC’s hockey day in Canada will be taking place in Peterborough this day with Coachs Corner taking place during this game
- The Pete’s power play has been struggling all year as they are 19th in the league clicking at a lowly 15.4%. Their PK is also 19th only working 74.8% of the time.
- The Pete’s sit 15th in the OHLwriters.com power rankings for this week
- After a slow start the Pete’s have been chipping away at a playoff spot in the Eastern Conference and are now within striking distance since hiring Jody Hull as their new head coach.
Draft Eligibles and others to watch
- Derek Mathers: Arguably the toughest player in the league he now wears the “C” for the Pete’s since Slater Koekkoek was traded to the Spits.
- Nick Richie: Last year’s 1st round pick for the Pete’s has been battling injuries and consistency all year. A late 95 he won’t be eligible for the draft till next year.
Oshawa Generals Sunday February 10th
2012-13 Record Overall/Home (29-18-1-3)/(15-9-0-2)
- Oshawa enters the week 3rd in the OHL’s Eastern Conference 2 points behind the Belleville Bulls
- Look for a different team than the one that the Hounds beat a few weeks back as Scott Laughton has been returned by the NHL’s Philadelphia Flyers
- Oshawa’s Power Play is 6th in the league at 22.6% while their PK is 9th at 79.5%
- The Generals are 6-3-1-0 in their last 10 games.
Draft Eligibles and others to watch
Tyler Biggs: Maple Leafs 1st round pick played NCAA hockey last year. Scored 2 goals for the Gens on their visit to Sault Ste Marie. Tyler has 20 goals in 45 games so far this year
Cole Cassels: Father Andrew is a former NHLer, Cole is Oshawa’s 1st round draft pick from 2 years ago after being taken from the Columbus area. His offensive production has taken a leap this year has he has 32 points after picking up only 11 in his rookie season
Bold Prediction of the Week
The Greyhounds will end the week higher in the standings then where they started.