Sorry for the lack of a review this week. Work got in the way of that. A few thoughts from my weekend in Sault Ste Mare. Whatever line Sergey Tolchinsky was last weekend was the best line. Friday he was with McCann and Dempsey and they were the only line to create consistent pressure. On Saturday with Nick Cousins and Nick Halagian his line once again was the cream of the crop for the Hounds.
One thing that has plagued the Hounds this year it how they tend to take nights of during winnable games. They are 3-0-1-0 against teams ranked in the CHL top 10 yet in games they should win against teams around them in the standings like Sarnia and Windsor they struggle to get the desired result. While I believe this team is exponentially better than last years they will have to beat these teams in order to take the next step.
1st Star - Sergey Tolchinsky: As stated his line was always to top line. He was constantly creating offence and every game you can see him getting more and more comfortable.
2nd Star – Nick Cousins: struggled on Friday but stepped up his game Saturday with 3 points against the Colts
3rd Star – Mitchell Dempsey: Finished at a +1 on Friday and scored his 1st goal as a Greyhound on Saturday.
Kitchener Rangers – Friday November 9th
2012-13 Record Overall/Home(11-5-1-1)/(7-0-0-0)
- Stars Ryan Murphy and Matt Puempel will hopefully be tired out after playing for team OHL Thursday in Guelph against the big bad Russians.
- Hottest team in the OHL with 17 points in their last 10 games
- Greyhounds got the better of them in week 3 picking up a 4-2 win on home ice.
- Are undefeated so far this year in the newly renovated Aud
Draft Eligibles and Others to Watch
Justin Bailey: An NHLCS “A” prospect. He missed the first meeting with the Hounds after suffering a concussion via a vicious hit from Pat Seiloff of the Spitfires.
Ryan Murphy: A Carolina Hurricanes 1st round draft pick and a 2 time cut of Team Canada at the World Junior camp. The most well rounded offensive game among defensemen in the OHL
Owen Sound Attack – Saturday November 10th
2012-13 Record Overall/Home (12-3-1-2)/(7-3-0-0)
- Tied with the Barrie Colts for most points in the OHL
- Ranked 1st in the ohlwriters.com power rankings. The 3rd week in a row the Hounds will take on the #1 ranked team.
- Ranked 4th in the BMO CHL top 10. Greyhounds hold a 3-0-1-0 record against such teams
- Will most likely be without Kyle Hope who took a 5 Minute head checking penalty on Wednesday against Guelph
- Actually have a longer bus ride for this game than the Hounds as they are playing in Brampton on Friday.
- Colin Miller and Matt Petaccio are eligible to return for this game from suspension
Draft Eligibles to watch
- Chris Bigras: A rock on the blue line for the Attack he is a “B” prospect in the eyes of NHLCS. 3rd in points among draft eligible defensemen behind Darnell Nurse and Jordan Subban. His +14 rating has him tops among all draft eligible skaters.
- Zach Nastasiuk: A “B” prospect as per NHLCS he is a prototypical power forward. Unfortunately for him he has been dealing with some injury issues in recent weeks.
London Knights – Sunday November 11th
2012-13 Record Overall/Home (10-5-0-2)/(4-3-0-2)
- First meeting of the season against the reigning OHL champions.
- The Knights like the Hounds will be playing in their 3rd game in 3 days.
- Soo native Jake Paterson has been finding some success this year between the pipes for the Knights. He picked up his first career shutout last Sunday against the Guelph Storm.
- The Greyhounds first trip to the Budweiser Gardens since Remembrance Day last year. A day that will be remembered for Ryan Rupert showing the world his baseball skills on Nick Cousins torso.
Draft Eligibles to Watch
- Max Domi: The son of Tie is an “A” prospect and is in any discussion of among the top draft prospects this year in the O. Currently 2nd behind Sean Monghan among draft eligible prospects.
- Bo Horvat: Another “A” prospect and a player I have been a fan of since last year. I actually hoped that if the Hounds decided against Nurse that Horvat would be their man. 11 points this year on a deep London team. 4 of his goals have come on the man advantage.
- Nikita Zadorov: After top Target Oscar Dansk was taken by the Erie Otters the Knights turned their attention to Zadorov. An “A” prospect has been acclimatizing himself rather well to North American hockey. Darnell Nurse’s top competition for the top draft eligible D-man in the O
Bold Prediction of the Week
The Hounds will hand the Kitchener Rangers their 1st home loss of the season this year.