The Greyhounds get an early start to week 3 with a Wednesday night game against their division rivals from down I-75 the Saginaw Spirit. Looking to continue their current hot streak the Hounds are tied for the highest point percentage in the Western Conference picking up 6 out of a possible 8.
Some good and bad news for the Hounds this week, on Monday they acquired Sault Ste. Marie native Chris Buonomo from the Barrie Colts for a 4th round pick. A solid defensive minded D-man Chris should help solidify a back end that has given up 40+ shots in 3 of its 4 games this year. Now the bad news for Hounds fans as their assistant captain Colin Miller is out 4-5 weeks after having minor surgery to deal with an infected bursa sac on the back of his left leg. Here’s hoping he makes a speedy recovery but with Buonomo now in the fold it is nothing the Hounds can’t overcome. Now let’s continue on to this week’s games.
Saginaw Spirit – Wednesday October 3rd
2012-13 Record Overall/Road (1-1-2-0)/(0-1-1-0)
- Soo Native Chris Buonomo makes his Greyhounds debut Wednesday and I for one hope they play Home Sweet Home by Motley Crue as he steps on the ice.
- Second straight game between these two teams after the Hounds skated away with a 3-2 OT win on Saturday
- Hounds will be looking for their 3rd straight win against a Western Division rival
Draft Eligibles to Watch
- Jimmy Lodge: I mentioned him last week but he didn’t play as he was attending the inaugural All-American Prospects Game in Buffalo. He is a “B” prospect by Central Scouting and a forward the Spirit are looking to, to help carry the offensive load this season
- Ramon Lopez: A “C” prospect according to NHLCS local NOJHL fans will remember him as he suited up in 24 games for the Soo Eagles last season picking up a goal and 4 assists.
Kitchener Rangers – Friday October 5th
2012-13 Record Overall/Road (3-1-0-0)/(3-1-0-0)
- It is the annual pink in the rink game at the Essar Centre with money raised going towards the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation. The Hounds will be wearing special jerseys that will be auctioned off during the game.
- This will be Kitchener’s 5th straight road game to start the season as more seats are being added to the Aud.
- Tied with the Greyhounds for the highest point percentage on the season coming in at 75%
- NHLCS “A” Prospect is still experiencing headaches from the hit he received from Pat Sieloff last week and is Doubtful for this game.
Draft Eligibles to watch
- Brent Pederson: The Rangers 1st round draft pick last year, this young power forward has been given a “C” ranking from NHLCS. Scored 9 goals last year in his rookie season and added a Bronze medal with Team Ontario at the U17 challenge.
- Josh Sterk: Led the Rangers crop of 16 year olds last year with 21 points via 7G and 14A. He is another “C” skater who is looking to break through after going pointless through his first 3 games of the season.
Sarnia Sting – Saturday October 6th
2012-13 Record Overall/Road (1-2-0-1)/(1-0-0-0)
- Greyhounds won their first meeting of the season against Sarnia storming back from a 2 goal 3rd period deficit to pick up the win
- Albeit with a small sample size the Sting are undefeated on the road this year while winless on home ice.
- Sarnia is averaging a measly 2 goals a game this year after averaging more than 3.5 per contest last season
Draft Eligibles to Watch
As I mentioned last week this team is pretty thin in terms of draft eligibles after trading last year’s 1st round pick and having a 2nd round pick with a late birth year. Keep an eye on Import Defenseman David Nemecek who is a big boy coming in at 6’4” 206 pounds.
Bold Prediction of the Week
With Jerseys being auctioned off Friday I am predicting that Ryan Sproul’s Jersey will fetch the highest total on the team and bring in North of $300.
Follow me on twitter @peterkneulman