Pictured is Kingston Frontenacs' head coach Todd Gill.

The Kingston Frontenacs played host to the Plymouth Whalers on
Friday night.  The Whalers are coming off of a 2-1 victory in Peterborough the night before.  This was their first road victory of the
season. Matt Mahalak got the start again for the Whalers.  Mike Morrison got the call for the

The Whalers came out flying in the 1st period, hitting everything
in sight.  Kingston tried to match their
aggressiveness and found themselves in penalty trouble, early on.  Just 4 seconds shy of the 4 minute mark,
Swedish defenseman, Simon Karlsson banged in a rebound, for his first OHL goal,
on the powerplay.

Trevor Morbeck tied the game on a Frontenacs' powerplay two and a
half minutes later, to give the lively crowd a lift.  Moffat and Kujawinski drew the assists. On
the play, Whalers goalie stopped the initial point shot from defenseman,
Moffat, but gave up a juicy rebound that Morbeck was able to steer around

Kingston would give up two quick goals, the first a beautiful tic
tac toe passing play, at the end of which Garrett Meurs would tally his 4th of
the season, from Tom Wilson, and Connor Carrick.  This was also a powerplay goal.  Plymouth's big line would tally at even
strength a few minutes later to give the visitors a 3-1 lead.  Sens prospect, Stefan Noesen would finish,
from Tom Wilson, and Rickard Rakell. The period ended with the Whalers up 3-1.

The second period saw the Frontenacs stop skating, especially in
their own zone.  The Whalers seemed to
free-wheel in the Fronts' zone, and take shots on a surrounded Mike Morrison
from all angles.  The lone bright spot
for the Frontenacs was a nice rush down the right side by Kingston's first
round pick, Roland McKeown.  He used Sam
Bennett as a decoy and snapped a wrist shot over the glove of Mahalak.  It was 3-2, temporarily. 

The Whalers would pump in the next 5 goals in a row, to make it a

The final score was 8-3, after Darcy Greenaway scored a late
goal.  Lost in the result was a two point
night for Roland McKeown (1g, 1a) and Michael Moffat (2a). 

Next up for the Fronts were two tough road games, in St.
Catharines, against the Ice Dogs, and in Kitchener.

The Frontenacs responded with a strong effort against a very good
Ice Dogs team losing 4-2, on Saturday night. They started the game strong with
first period goals by Billy Jenkins, and Trevor Morbeck, but they continued to
give up goals in bunches, and before the end of the period, Niagara had tied
it.  The second Ice Dogs' goal came at
19:59 of the first period, which seemed to deflate the young Fronts, and they
couldn't respond, at least not offensively. 

Brett Richie scored his second goal of the night, the only goal in
the 2nd period, as this time, he tipped home a Dougie Hamilton point shot, to
give the Ice Dogs their first lead of the night.  The Fronts were ahead in the shot clock 25-24
after two periods, but were behind 3-2.

Niagara came out strong in the third, and managed to score their
insurance goal into an empty net with 6 seconds to play.  The Dogs outshot the Fronts 17-12 in the
third, and 41-37 overall. The Fronts were 0-2 on the PP and the Dogs were 1-4,
in a cleanly played game.

Kingston waited around until 7 PM on Sunday to play the Kitchener
Rangers, their third game in 3 days. 
Kitchener was looking for revenge after the Frontenacs had beaten them 9
days before, in Kingston.  The Rangers
were pumped to play, only their 2nd game at home of the season, in front of
another big crowd.

The Rangers came out flying, much to the delight of over 6900
fans.  The game remained scoreless until
just past the 15 minute mark when the Rangers' Tobias Reider would tally his
5th of the season, on a Rangers' powerplay. 
Former Pete, Matt Puempel started the play, by putting the first shot on
goal.  Justin Bailey would tally his
first OHL goal, and first of 2 on the night, with 3 minutes gone in the second,
to extend the lead to 2-0.  Radek Faksa
would give the Rangers a 3-0 lead, shortly after, another powerplay goal.

Kingston would show signs of life with two quick goals, with less
than 5 minutes left in the 2nd.  Rookie
winger, Marc Beckstead would score on the powerplay, on a nice feed from Billy
Jenkins. Jenkins would set up the next Kingston goal, as well, as he directed a
pass to Trevor Morbeck who would wire one off of Rangers' goalie, John Gibson's
shoulder, and into the net.  It was 3-2.
Unfortunately, the Rangers' powerplay would connect again, as Ryan Murphy
scored his second of the season. 

Bailey tallied his second of the game, and of his OHL career mid
way through the third, to make the final score 5-2 Kitchener.

Penalty killing really let the Fronts' down this weekend, as the
Whalers were 2-4, the Ice Dogs 1-4, and the Rangers 3-6.  This translates into a dismal 57% success
rate on the PK, which will lose a lot of hockey games.

On Monday, the Frontenacs traded long time character player, Nathan
Cull to the Sudbury Wolves for right winger Samuel Schutt. A second round draft
pick of the Fronts in 2010, Cull played 124 games for Kingston, which made him
the longest serving player under GM Doug Gilmour's watch, at 18 yrs of
age.  Schutt was chosen in the second
round of 2010, by the Wolves, 10 spots after Nathan. He played in 134 games
with Sudbury, and is also 18 yrs old.

The Ottawa 67's will make their first visit to K-Rock on Friday
night, followed by a trip to Belleville on Saturday night.  Kingston will then travel to Scotiabank Place
in Kanata to face the 67's at 10:30 AM, for the annual School Kid's game. This
will be the first time that Kingston will play their closest rivals this
season, and I expect coach Gill will have them ready to go!